We all know that life with any chronic, lifelong illness sucks, when that illness is Inflammatory Bowel Disease in the form of Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn’s Disease, it is shitty! (Pun definitely intended). I am as guilty as everyone else in writing about all the negative aspects of this, I have spent two years doing just that, but I thought it time to write about the great things…
1. Regular new underwear. Well, when you end up abandoning pants in sanitary bins because you shit yourself, you have to replenish the stock! Make it some nice ones.
2. You know more about the workings of the digestive system than most people. Including doctors.
4. You become the Poo Oracle of all your friends. Revel in the power of knowing about all your mates poo stories.
5. You know your way around your local hospital and so never get lost. You have been in most wards at some point, you could draw a map!
6. You have an excellent excuse to eat crap, beige food when you are in the mood. Yes, you need a mcdonalds, everything in there is on the low residue diet!
7. You have a sense of humour. Sometimes sick, sometimes inappropriate but when you have been through so much, you have to learn to laugh or you would cry.
8. People get so used to you looking rough that when you are well and scrub up, you look amazing and people comment.
9. You have the ability to teach those around you. About illness, invisible disability, compassion, love and positivity. Use it.
10. You know that life is precious. You have been through hell and are still standing! You know that no matter how tough life is, it is ALWAYS better than the alternative.
Via : sobadass